Learn The Present Simple Rules

The present simple rules:
The present simple of base from of a verb, e.g. play, know, take.
  • You know the answer.
  • I usually take this bus.
In the third person singular we add –s or –es.
  • John knows the answer.
  • My brother always takes the bus
  • The color matches my jacket.
In the negative we use do not or don’t and the base form of a verb.
  • I just do not know the answer.
  • The neighbors don’t take any notice.
In the third person singular we use does not or doesn’t and the base form
  • John does not know the answer.
  • The journey doesn’t take long. (NOT how long take the journey?)
In questions we use do and base form of a verb.
  • Do you know the answer?
  • What do we take with us?
In the third person singular we use does and base form of a verb.
  • Does john know the answer?
  • How long does the journey take? (NOT how long take the journey?)
BUT we do not use do with  verb “to be”.
  • Are you the oldest? 
Basic uses of the present simple
We use the present simple for a present state. This might be a feeling, an opinion, or the fact that something belongs to someone.
1.   My friend likes hip-hop.
2.   I think it’s a good idea.
3.   This bike belongs to my brother.
We use the present simple when we are talking about repeated and regular actions or events such as routines, habits, hobbies, jobs, things that happen again and again. As well as with time expression like always, often , usually, sometimes, ever/never, etc; once/twice a week, etc.
1.   The old man walks this dog every morning.
2.   John works in Oxford. He usually drives to work.
3.   I don’t often see my cousins.
We use the present simple when we are talking about facts.
1.   Silicon is a chemical element.
2.   We have two children.
3.   The Thames flows through London.
We use the present simple when we are talking about future facts or events seen as part of a timetable.
1.   The flight gets in at eight tomorrow morning.
2.   Christmas Day falls on a Sunday this year.
3.   Does the class begin at 10 or 11 this week?

The present simple forms: To be
The verb “To Be” is irregular verb and has different question forms and negative forms.

Positive
Negative

Long Form
Short Form
Long Form
Short Form
Questions
I am
You  are
He is
She is
It is
We are
They are
I’m
You’re
He’s
She’s
It’s
We’re
They’re
I am not
You are not
He is not
She is not
It is not
We are not
They are not
I’m not
You aren’t
He isn’t
She isn’t
It isn’t
We aren’t
They aren’t
Am I …?
Are you …?
Is he …?
Is she …?
Is it …?
Are we …?
Are they …?



First